The leaseholder of a restaurant has been sentenced after illegally removing asbestos from the building putting people at risk of exposure during refurbishment work.
Aman Ullah was in control of construction work which included the removal of asbestos insulation board soffits from the premises which was being refurbished. The asbestos insulation board was removed in an uncontrolled manner with no controls to prevent the spread of asbestos fibres.
A Prohibition Notice was served preventing any work near of the removal of the material except by a licensed contractor. Mr Ullah failed to comply with the Prohibition Notice.
North Somerset Magistrates’ Court heard that HSE found that Mr Ullah failed to take suitable measures to prevent the spread of potentially deadly asbestos fibres as the asbestos was removed in an uncontrolled manner and then left at the side of the building and in an area which members of the public had access.
The court was told the nature of the work meant that the asbestos should have been removed by a licensed asbestos removal contractor.
Aman Ullah, 54, of Oldbury Court Road, Fishponds was fined a total of £10,000 and ordered to pay £5,000 in costs and a £500 victim surcharge after pleading guilty to safety breaches.
Speaking after the case HSE inspector Kate Leftly said: “Asbestos is the single greatest cause of work-related deaths in the UK, with some 4,500 deaths each year due to asbestos-related diseases, as well as many serious illnesses.
“For this reason, work with asbestos requires a high degree of regulatory control to ensure it is carried out safely. Mr Ullah decided to ignore the fact an asbestos licence was required to undertake this work and his actions not only put those working on site and members of the public at risk.”