The warning comes on the 3rd anniversary of the Fire Door Inspection Scheme. The UK’s most experienced inspector has found widespread evidence of poorly fitted fire doors.
Fire door inspectors findings
- Over 61% of fire doors inspected had problems with fire or smoke seals
- More than a third had incorrect signage
230 fire doors inspected had gaps bigger than 3mm between the door and its frame. Contractors are still not fitting fire doors properly putting people at risk during a blaze.
- in BS9999:2008 and BS8214:2008)
- More than 20% had unsuitable hinges
- Almost 1 in 6 had damage to the door leaf
Clive Reilly said: “It is not uncommon to find newly-installed fire doors with hardware which has fixings missing or with unsuitable frames.
“Usually the contractor and the building manager will think these doors have been installed correctly and will perform as required in the event of a fire.
“It is only when, or even if, the doors are inspected by someone who knows what to look for that these problems are found, by which time they will have to pay for remediation or replacement